Monday, November 29, 2010

Why there is hate for Gears

Before I start this I want to state for the record I do not think of the series as bad games. The idea of chainsawing your way threw bad guys is a good idea, but there is poor exicution I am harsher on Gears of War 2 rather then Gears of War because there is more of what I hate about these kind of games. This deals with the machoisms of the bathing in the blood of your enemies to feel "mannly" as well many of the problems that are related.


To do this you have to have the blandest of characters to create a blank slate for the player to be inserted into the character. The blanker it is, the easier it is for the player to be the character. Which makes the character into a block like character, with little to no emotion shown. The more emotion or dept of character, the less blank it becomes.The more blank the character the more acceptable it is to commit genocide. Since it is "mannly" to kill. Now this is all summed up by the cover art.


It isn't bad, but that means the game isn't going to be more then big battles where the forces are against you while you shooty-shooty bang-bang your way threw the game. Meaning a rather generic game that is the safe cheese.

Now cheese is good, I know since I have eaten a block of bland American cheese that proves this. The problem is that cheese works best when it is apart of something rather then by itself. Its why Opinionated Critic has something good to say about Castle but not about cheese only Glee.

That alone is why Gears of War a game I absolutely hate, but give a good review since it is well done. Now if all the second game could of fallow the same line of going from point A to point B roller coaster kill fest with just the scale tweaked(enemies get larger in scale while you don't). They couldn't, hell moments which should of been weren't. Mainly because what worked couldn't grow from a great ride from point A to point B. So instead of keeping the small by quality amount of game in the first, quantity McDonalds style was given. That is why it got a bad review even though I hate both equally for being nothing more then a repetitious bland generic cheese.

I know maybe the new readers if any do not care for this explanation. I felt it was needed because the Gears of Wars games are the only games I have not bought myself. They were bought by people who were a fan of my writing while I wrote for Game Depository. Now each game I review is either because I am able to play the game because of someone else( De Blob and Bleach Shattered Blade played with relatives consoles) or have paid for it myself.

I know my reviews may not be the best written, but my goal is to get better and better. Been trying to figure out what I been doing wrong for over a year. The next review that goes up I hope to be an improvement over past reviews. Any critiques or comments on future or past reviews are always helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment